Real people, and definitely not orange.
What does Joe Biden’s platform actually aim to do?
from Joe Biden’s site, joebiden.com)
- Decriminalization, rescheduling, and expungement of existing federal marijuana convictions.
- End the federal crack and powder cocaine disparity.
- End all incarceration for drug use alone and instead divert individuals to drug courts and treatment.
- Invest $400 billion in clean energy research and innovation.
- Establish an enforcement mechanism to achieve net-zero emissions no later than 2050.
- Require aggressive methane pollution limits for new and existing gas operations.
- Require public companies to disclose climate risks and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Invest in carbon capture sequestration technology.
- Support research into new nuclear technology.
- Empower communities to develop transportation solutions.
- Invest in electric rail roads and mass transit.
- Embrace the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol.
- Demand a worldwide ban on fossil fuel subsidies.
- Name and shame global climate outlaws.
- Pursue a global moratorium on offshore drilling in the Arctic.
- Hold polluters accountable.
- Ensure access to safe drinking water for all communities.
- Ensure that communities harmed by climate change and pollution are the first to benefit from the Clean Economy Revolution.
- Invest in communities impacted by the climate transformation.
- Double offshore wind energy by 2030.
- $15/hr minimum wage.
- Bankruptcy reform.
- Paid family leave.
- Paid sick leave.
- Protect and expand union rights.
- Repeal the $2.1tn Trump tax cuts.
- Increase taxes by $1.4tn on top earners.
- Hold corporations and executives responsible for interfering with unionization.
- Aggressively pursue employers who violate labor laws.
- Ensure federal dollars do not support employers who engage in union-busting.
- Penalize companies that bargain in bad faith.
- Make it easier for workers who choose to unionize to do so.
- Ban state “right to work” laws.
- Create a cabinet-level working group that will solely focus on promoting union organizing.
- Ensure that workers can exercise their right to strike without fear of reprisal.
- Empower the NLRB to fulfill its intended purpose of protecting workers.
- Eliminate non-compete clauses and no-poaching agreements.
- Put an end to unnecessary occupational licensing requirements.
- Expand protections for undocumented immigrants who report labor violations.
- Medicare-like public option.
- Allow Medicare to bargain for prescription drug prices.
- Increase the value of tax credits to lower premiums and extend coverage.
- Limiting launch prices for drugs that face no competition.
- Limiting price increases for all brand, biotech, and abusively priced generic drugs.
- Allow consumers to buy prescription drugs from other countries.
- End pharmaceutical corporations’ tax break for advertisement spending.
- Expanding access to contraception.
- Protect and defend a woman’s right to choose.
- Restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Doubling America’s investment in community health centers.
- Expand access to mental health care.
- Invest in historically marginalized communities.
- Encourage the adoption of electric vehicles.
- Invest $10 billion into transit projects that serve high-poverty areas.
- Increase funding for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers by $2.5 billion per year.
- Invest $20 billion in rural broadband infrastructure.
- Invest $100 billion to modernize schools.
- Invest $10 billion in a new Cities Revitalization Fund.
- Quadruple funding to provide small manufacturers with the technical expertise needed to compete in a global economy.
- Introduce a constitutional amendment to eliminate private dollars from our federal elections.
- Enact legislation to provide voluntary matching public funds for federal candidates recieving small donations.
- Propose a law to strengthen our prohibitions on foreign nationals trying to influence federal, state, or local elections.
- Work to enact legislation ensuring that SuperPACs are wholly independent of campaigns and political parties.
- Increase transparency of election spending.
- End dark money groups.
- Ban corporate PAC contributions to candidates.
- Prohibit lobbyist contributions to those who they lobby.
- Reform funding for national party conventions.
- Require that all candidates for federal office release tax returns dating back 10 years.
- Prohibiting foreign governments’s use of lobbyists.
- Prevent the president or White House from improperly interfering in federal investigations and prosecutions.
- Increase transparency in DOJ decision-making.
- Empower agency watchdogs (Inspectors General) to combat unethical behavior.
- Establish the Commission on Federal Ethics to more effectively enforce federal ethics law.
- Prevent the president, other senior Executive Branch members, and Congresspersons from being influenced by personal financial holdings.
- Ending private prisons.
- Investing $300 billion in community policing training.
- Investing in public health and education.
- Create a new $20 billion competitive grant program to spur states to shift from incarceration to prevention.
- Expand federal funding for mental health and substance use disorder services and research.
- Expand and use the power of the U.S. Justice Department to address systemic misconduct in police departments and prosecutors’ offices.
- Invest in public defenders’ offices.
- Eliminate mandatory minimums.
- Eliminate the death penalty.
- End cash bail.
- Stop jailing people for being too poor to pay fines and fees.
- Ensure humane prison conditions.
- Invest $1 billion per year in juvenile justice reform.
- Incentivize states to stop incarcerating kids.
- Expand funding for after-school programs, community centers, and summer jobs.
- Two years paid public universities and college or job training for those making less than $125k/yr.
- Create new a federal grant program.
- Double the maximum value of Pell grants for low-income and middle-class individuals.
- Make a $50 billion investment in workforce training.
- More than halve payments on undergraduate federal student loans.
- Stop for-profit education programs from profiteering off of students.
- Crack down on private lenders profiteering off of students.
- Allow individuals holding private loans to discharge them in bankruptcy.
- $10,000 across the board federal student loan forgiveness.
- Forgive all undergraduate federal student loan debt for borrowers who attended public colleges and universities, as well as historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) and private minority-serving institutions (MSIs).
- Repeal Trump era restrictions on immigration
- Prioritize deporting threats over deporting hard working, upstanding members of the community.
- End child separation and prolonged detention.
- Reform the asylum system.
- End public funding for the border wall.
- Protect DACA recipients.
- Hold ICE and CBP agents accountable for inhumane treatment.